Application & Admission
- Information about the Admission Formalities for Consular Sections at German Representations AbroadHide
The official admission letter for the Master's programme in Development Studies at the University of Bayreuth is a notification via e-mail. All applicants who present this letter have been accepted to the Master's programme in Development Studies.
- A bachelor’s degree from the University of Bayreuth in Applied African Studies, African Culture & Society, International Economics & Development, African Development Studies in Geography, Philosophy & Economics, or Geography (final grade “2.5” or better), or an equivalent degree awarded by another university (see FAQ page)
- At least four weeks of practical experience abroad dealing with development
- English language skills (C1) and – for international students – demonstrated skills in the German language
Applicants who do not hold a university degree for a programme conducted in German will be asked to proof language skills at level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference until the end of the first year of studies.
Start of the programme:
- Each winter semester (October)
Application for admission
The application period opens in early March.
All applicants are asked to submit the required documents by 15 July in order to facilitate the administrative process. Foreign applicants (except for “Bildungsinländer”) need to submit the required documents by 15 July. The date of application before this date will not affect your chances for admission. However, international students who have to expect a rigorous visa application process for entering the European Union are advised to apply by 15 March. Admissions are only valid for the application year.
Please read all of the following information carefully before you proceed!
All applications must be submitted via the online application tool "CampusOnline". Change the language with the 'DE/EN' button (two speech bubbles) in the upper right corner of the CampusOnline homepage and create a basic account first. Afterwards, you can login and begin with the application process.
You will be asked to upload the following documents.
- Transcript of Records (if you hold several relevant degrees, include all transcripts in one PDF file)
- Bachelor's Degree Certificate (if you hold several relevant degrees, include all certificates in one PDF file)
- School Leaving Certificate (your most senior school diploma that is required to join a university)
- Internship Proof (if and only if your internship is still to take place after your application but before the start of the study programme, please upload an official acceptance letter; the final internship proof must be submitted upon enrolment)
- Language Skill Certificates
If you are an international student you are additionally required to upload a CV.
In addition to the proofs and certificates, you must upload the Application for Admission Form which you can download in advance in order to prepare the files for uploading:
- Application for Admission Form (to be uploaded as XLS file)
Partial applications will not be considered. Please, also have a look at the FAQ page.